Friday, October 9, 2009

Tea Parties!

Life runs at a slower pace here in Niger. It's all about the relationship, rather than getting everything checked off on the to-do list. For example, greetings in Niger are much more than just, "Hey, how's it going?" To show that you have time for people, greetings involve asking, "How are you?", "How is the family?", "How's work?", "How is the heat?", "How is your health?"...I could keep going, but I think you get the idea.

Not only is life slower paced, but our work also involves a lot of relationship building, which looks very different from the typical workplace in Canada. My mentor, Lisa, refers to it as the ministry of hanging out. Hanging out with local friends also comes with the benefit of language practice. And so, tea parties have become a common place activity in my work day.

This past Tuesday, Chantelle and I picked up Miriama and her sister, Aminata and brought them back to Chantelle's house. In the cool of the screened in room, we ate lunch together and then Chantelle learned how to make atay--Arabic tea/Tamasheq tea. It is a very strong tea, that you drink out of shot glasses and you drink three rounds as a general rule. It is delicious!

chantelle pouring our tea


Miriama, Aminata and I enjoying our tea

Miriama is a teacher at the hut literacy class that Chantelle runs. She is also Chantelle's language partner. Aminata has agreed to become my language partner. She is learning English, hoping to earn a living as an English-Tamasheq tutor, and I need to practice, practice, practice my French!

Of course, after a day's work, you've got to kick back and relax, which can sometimes include an imaginary tea party with my niece!

Arielle pouring what was probably our millionth round of imaginary tea

No comments:

Post a Comment