Glancing back through my blog, I realized I have yet to even mention Hutte Classe--the highlight of my weeks! So for Hutte Party to make sense, you have to know a little bit about Hutte Classe. So here goes!
The Tuareg team (primarily my cousin Chantelle) has been working with a community of Tuaregs who live in our neighborhood, and when they asked this community, what do you need, they answered, "A place to educate our women and children." So the hutte classe was born! A hut was built in the courtyard of one of the community members and a latrine was installed and classes began. Twice a week there is a class for the children to help supplement and clarifying anything they've been learning in school. Also, twice a week there is a literacy class for the women--this is what I'm involved in! It is taught in Tamasheq, which I'll soon start learning officially, so I sit with the students and learn to read and write Tamasheq words. We have little slates that we write on and we all take turns reading the blackboard. Hutte classe is taught by two volunteer teachers from the community--Asku and Miriama. So that's the basic of hutte classe.
our volunteer teachers

our volunteer teachersNot really sure what to expect, we were estatic when all fifteen women from the class showed up. We'd made a large meal of rice and sauce and after eating, we showed them pictures that we'd taken during hutte classe--which greatly entertained them--pictures of our own family and a few pictures of Canada to give them an idea of where we come from. We showed them the most frigid looking picture of Canadian winter and they were like, "It looks like paradise! You must miss it!" I could honestly say, I don't miss freezing cold weather. I'm greatly appreciating my 30 degree weather!
And then the dancing began! We'd gotten our hands on some Tuareg music which we played and we all danced! The great thing about dancing is that it transcends language barriers! Many of the women don't speak French and I don't yet speak Tamasheq, but dancing doesn't require spoken communication. We had a great time dancing and laughing! Even the girls who had always been shy and reserved, let loose on the dance floor and when we brought out the camera, instead of shying away, they all wanted to have their photos taken!

my little sister Fatima
Fatima is one of the girls that attends hutte classe. While visiting in her home a few days before, we'd made a joke about me becoming her older sister, a joke which then carried over to hutte party. We danced together, referred to each other as "ma soeur" and took many pictures together! Two of the girls dressed Chantelle and I up with their Tuareg jewelry and veils and took our picture!
dressed up by the girls
No comments:
Post a Comment