This past Saturday, while Asku was on guard duty, he invited me to join a tea party outside to (informally) celebrate his 23rd birthday. Not long after joining the party, his sister who I have claimed for my own, Fatima, showed up and spent the majority of the day there with me. Another girl from hutte classe and a friend showed up a while later and spent a few hours with us. They taught me a local game that requires great amounts of coordination--not my forte! But we had a great time laughing and joking nonetheless. Apparently the rules to this game state that the winner gets to cut off the ears of the loser. Raichatou, the winner, kept snipping her fingers at me, making us both laugh hysterically, as I would cover my ears and cringe in pretend fear.
It was during this time that I was invited to come hang out at Asku and Fatima's house. We settled on the following Tuesday afternoon (that of course being today, I just got home.) Talk about nicest family in the world! On Christmas Eve, I'd visited this family with my cousins to deliver Asku's Christmas present (each of our guards received a gift) and I'd brought along a game of Pick Up Sticks. Mohammed, the second youngest brother was so excited to show me his skills--he'd been practicing. By the color of the Pick Up Sticks, it was evident that they'd been well used in the two weeks since I'd given the game to them! The littlest boy, Ibrahim, who is three, lay on the mat next to me and would just same my name over and over again--except that he pronounced it "Levecca."
Mohammed with his Pick Up SticksWe spent our time drinking tea, eating together, practicing the various languages we are learning--English, French and Tamasheq. It was a crazy jumble of Tamafranglish! They even played Celine Dion for me so that I would feel at home, you know, since Celine Dion is Canadian like me! Just before sunset, we walked ten minutes to a sand dune to wish the sun a good night. We took all sorts of pictures. When we came back from the dune, we ate supper, played with the chubbiest little puppies, star gazed and watched Tuareg music videos on one of the guy's cellphone. Tuareg music videos feature A LOT of camels!
Yay for my very own Nigerien family!
Wow! Looks like so much fun! I loved hearing about you connecting and feeling accepted. Very cool to see God working in you and through you. So wonderful...and the pictures are adorable! Thanks for sharing, my friend.
ReplyDelete