Each Monday and Thursday, after hut class, I often head over to my adoptive family's house to spend the evening with them. Every time I ask if I can go with Fatima to go buy wood for cooking, to go buy the vegetables and oil (they buy one meal at a time rather than a week's worth of groceries) at a little shop just inside the city, or if I can help prepare the meal. Every time, without fail, the answer is a resounding no! I'm always told to sit and relax, drink tea and chat with whoever is not working. Sigh...
However, yesterday, I discovered the magic words to make them let me help them. Instead of asking if I could help, I told them that I'd really like to learn to cook African cuisine and the art of cooking over an open fire. They didn't even need convincing! They were so excited to teach me to cook their food that I was instantly put to work cutting up vegetables. Each step of the way they told me what to do and all evening they so proudly raved about "Rebecca's sauce"! I felt pretty proud of myself too! Now, if only I had pictures to prove it!
No comments:
Post a Comment