Monday, May 31, 2010

The Partying Continues!


Because you only turn 23 once, it's necessary to party on multiple occasions, so my African family and friends threw me another party--Tuareg style!

As expected, Chantelle and I showed up at the appointed time and yet were still early. Things were still being arranged and prepared but that worked just fine for us since it came as no surprise and Chantelle wanted to get some pictures before we lost the daylight.

Fatima goofing off!

My family had planted some small bushes in a rectangle behind their house, making a nice little fenced off area for our festivities! Blankets and mats were set out for people to sit on. As the sun fell, the fire was lit to make tea and the food was served. I learned after the fact that the sauce included goat intestines. Meat creeps me out as it is for the most part, so I was very thankful that in the dark, eating what I could not see, I managed not to get a piece of intestine!

the venue

the tea station

After dinner, dancing and music began. Dancing is always so embarrassing--I have no rhythm, but I had no choice. I was the guest of honor! So I did my best and laughed lots! My favorite is when the guys begin doing the camel dance--it's the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen! If only I had pictures to show you just how amazing it is! They twirl the ends of their turbans in the air and start kicking their feet up in the air!

Then it was time for what Chantelle and I named the "Goat Cake." Had we been at a North American birthday party, this is the point that they would have pulled out the cake. Instead, out came the goat!

african-style slow cooker

Much earlier in the day, they'd dug a hole in the ground, where they then made a fire. Then they killed a goat, stuffed it with couscous, veggies and spices, wrapped it in paper and laid it in the hole, ontop of the fire. They then made another fire ontop of the goat and left it for hours to cook in the embers of the fire. I suppose this is the Africa version of a crockpot?

digging up my goat cake!

there he is!

Since it was my birthday, I got to ceremoniously scoop up the first shovel-ful of ashes to unbury my goat. I felt more like I was breaking ground for a construction project. I have to say, I've never had a birthday party like this before! And as it turned out, the meat was delicious! Tender, juicy, wonderful flavour! If I could always have meat like that, I would eat meat more often!

Chantelle and I left around 11:15pm and learned later that the party continued until 3:00am! While I could have stayed a little longer, I would definitely have konked out well before 3:00am! These people can sure party!

several days later, when visiting, I hopped into the "African crockpot"

The whole evening made me feel so underserving! I felt so incredibly loved and touched by my friends and African family! They are wonderful people and I am blessed to be able to do life with them!

me and my bestfriend

No comments:

Post a Comment