Thursday, May 6, 2010

tekeneshet


Sunday night when I arrived home after church and I was chatting with my guard, this little guy happened to walk by--not smart on his part. Instead of being able to go about his business, I insisted that he stop for a photo shoot. Hedgehogs--or tekeneshet in Tamasheq--are apparently quite numerous here in Niger, but you'd never know since they are nocturnal. This little guy, I've learned, lives in my yard. Isn't he cute?! I enjoyed tickling his little foot that was peeking out--I don't think he did though. He didn't laugh.




Monday night, just as I was arriving home from dinner with my mentor, it began to rain like crazy and I went running for the cover of my front porch and my guard went running for his little room. I barely heard him shout over the thunderous downpour, and then he stuck his head out the door and called, "Rebecca, come here!" So I ran through the wall of rain and when I got to his little room, I saw the reason for his shout of surprise. A small owl was sitting on the table inside! I would have taken a picture except that I didn't want to drown my camera! I did, however, greatly enjoy sitting on my porch in the coolness of the rain and listening to my guard, Moussa and my neighbour, Yao, screech and hollar as they tried to capture the little owl. Apparently he put up a good fight!
Really, between Zola my dog, my hedgehog, my owl and my many (tail-less) lizards I should think about opening a zoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment