Thursday, August 12, 2010

An Update!

So some of you may be thinking that I've fallen off the planet--especially those of you on my monthly mailing list who noticed I never sent out a letter in July--YIKES!! So let me get you up to speed!

About a month and a half ago, Bennett, the son of Paul and Chantelle who I work with, broke is arm and was Med. Evac-ed to France, with Chantelle to have his arm taken care of--yes, the medical facilities in Niger are just that lousy. Hopefully that'll change in years to come! So, for three weeks, Paul and I carried the load that Chantelle left behind--big shoes to fill! We managed to keep the grain aid program afloat (I learned that my counting skills have improved!). Otherwise, my time was filled with hut class, language learning and being Arielle's hair dresser! Near the end, we had a big storm that managed to blow up both my computer's power cord and my internet modem :(

a picnic with Arielle on Saturday afternoon

entertaining ourselves one slow day at the grain distribution center--spinning is always fun!

Zola stole my quiet reading spot on my private back porch on weekend afternoon--she clearly hasn't come to the reality that she is not a spoil dog--matresses are not for puppies!

Arielle waiting at the airport for Mommy and Bennett to come home!

At the end of the three weeks, Chantelle and Bennett came home--they got off the plane and I boarded it! I winged my way home to Calgary for three weeks of vacation with my family! I felt incredibly loved to arrive at the airport to find a bunch of my family and a few of my good friends waiting for me at arrivals with welcome signs, flowers and hugs! It was wonderful to worship in my home church--even though I was only able to attend once. I spent my time visiting friends and family, my dad and I went to a football game in which the Stampeders crushed the Roughriders!, a trip to Banff with the parents and camping at Pine Lake with the Elliott side of the family! It was a vacation full of rest and boarded the plan to Niger relaxed and refreshed and excited for year number two in Niger! Due to some complications during my trip, I didn't arrive feeling so refreshed and relaxed, but it's good to be back to the job that I love!

eating supper one evening in the school bus
my friend Josh drives

spent time playing with my friend Julia's little black lab--so cute!

with my parents in Banff

my friend Mike's pet lizard--I've never been tempted to adopt any of the many lizards in my yard as a pet

we even made Tuareg tea a few times!

go stamps go!

The past few days have seemed like a whirlwind of getting over jetlag, nagging the internet company to come fix my internet even though my teammates had taken up my cause while I was away, visiting my African family before they took off for the village for their month of vacation, and returning as Chantelle's sidekick--she's deep in year-end reports for our school cantine project! Lucky for me, this means learning more new practical skills in regards to development!


Coming back as made me feel very loved as well. When I went to visit my African family last night, the kids came running to meet me, and I was told a very sweet little annecdote--every time an airplane was pass overhead, the littlest boy, Ibrahim, would say, "Come down here and give us Rebecca back!"

So there you have it! I'm alive and well and hopefully more consistent in my communication--I've been religious in unplugging all things important when the rains begin!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad we were able to catch up while you were here! :) Hope you are doing well!!

    ReplyDelete