Thursday, September 9, 2010

Finished Fasting=Party Time!

the fabulous miriama and I

the lovely aminata and I


Today is the end of Ramadan--the Muslim month of fasting, where people fast from sunrise to sundown, no liquids--the truly faithful don't even swallow their own spit! But now that they've come to the end of the month, it's time to party!

I've heard that the traditional food for Ramadan is chicken. Yesterday, I was waiting in Kristi's car, just outside the market while she ran a quick errand. Next to me was a bunch of boys with a pile of dead chickens, that they would dip into boiling water to remove their feathers. When they were featherless, they'd toss the dead bodies, the limp necks flopping about, into a pile. Oh, and the smell... Kristi's quick errand was not fast enough! Be glad that I didn't take any pictures!

Today, the people of Niger have donned on their new clothing and will go visiting friends, will eat delicious food, and many will go to various parties in the evening to listen to music and dance.

We headed up to our friends, Aminata and Miriama's house, to join them for the noon meal and some fellowship.
Katherine discovers yummy tuareg tea--hope she can sleep tonight!

Chantelle and Miriama's mom

Al-Hadi sporting a motor bike helmet--they're all the rage!

precious arielle

Chantelle and Fatima

cute little boys in their Ramadan best

bennett helps to make the tea--gotta keep that fire hot!

and dinner is served--let the eating contest begin!

starting out with a full plate of yummy chicken and yam sauce

the adults drop out and the children keep going...

and the last contestant standing...Miss Arielle!

and last but not least, the cute little kids!

2 comments:

  1. Great pictures! Looks like so much fun-wish I could be there =) By the way, you look so fabulous! Love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Rebecca! I saw your blog off of Karen's and wanted to see what you are up to and then I saw my cousin in your pictures! Crazy! I guess I have lots of family in Niger but sort of forgot Katherine was there also! Just thought I would say Hi and hope you are well! Michelle

    ReplyDelete