Thursday, April 21, 2011

A Proud New Mother

So, I braved the Central Maternity for the second time this week :)  Fatimatou is looking good.  She moves slowly--she did in fact have a C-section.  And she's so proud of her little girl.  It's so sweet!  The one very disconcerting thing though was this:  there was a LARGE bandaged across the little girl's upper abdomen.  When I asked about it, I was informed that when they cut Fatimatou open for the C-section, they cut a little too deep and cut the baby!!  Yikes!! No wonder women here are terrified of C-sections! I don't blame them one bit!
 When we got there, they were calling the little baby, "Little Rebecca."  I felt so honored to have the baby named after me...but then when I was handed the birth certificate, I noticed the name written on there was Zeinab.  Unbeknownst to them, when I first arrived in Niger, some Fulani women named me Zeinab. So I guess I can claim to be the namesake regardless ;) 

 Fatimatou and Little Rebecca/Zeinab

The proud new Auntie Raichatou, mommy Fatimatou and me!

  (The maternity was nicer than I'd remembered it from my first visit over a year ago--maybe I've just been in Niger too long...but I felt so glad for Fatimatou that her shared room had a working fan--the temperature these days has been in the forties!)

1 comment:

  1. thanks for sharing, Rebecca!! I found your last 2 entries SUPER interesting! (I have been in the delivery room for at least 6 births in North America and each time it makes me realize just how much the birth of a child is a miracle!) Do you know what was wrong with Fatimatou in the first place? Why did she need an emergency c-section? Was the baby breached? After having read up on obstetrical fistulas, reading Fatimatou's story made me worried...good to hear that all is well! Can't wait to see you in August!

    ReplyDelete